I created this recipe this on a bit of whim and whilst getting a little experimental in the kitchen. Its safe to say I got slightly excited about having an authentic Italian pizza during my upcoming trip to Rome and with Italian food on my mind I decided to recreate the taste of my favourite pizza, tomato mozzarella and basil for my lunch. The result was a salad that tasted like pizza, it doesn’t have the crispy base but the favours are all there… YES YOU HEARD RIGHT. I tried this cold and hot and both worked well depending whether you prefer the mozzarella intact or more stringy. Its also super quick and simple to make. You can adjust it to your tastes but the recipe as I made it is below.
- Bulgar wheat 1/2 cup
- Quinoa 1/2 cup
- 50g of mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil
- 3 heaped tbsp of tomato based sauce or tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small cloves of fresh garlic
- 1tsp EVOO
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 inch of cucumber
- A handful of rocket leaves
- Add two parts water to one part bulghar wheat and quinoa and bring to the boil.
- Then dice the tomato, mozzarella, cucumber and basil.
- Crush the garlic and add to the other raw ingredients.
- once the bulgar wheat and quinoa have cooked drain the water and add the tomato based sauce to cook through.
- Add the raw ingredients to the quinoa and bulgar wheat and mix thoroughly.
- Drizzle the EVOO on top and top with a handful of fresh rocket.
- You can add optional extras such as cranberries, olives or walnuts.
Hope you enjoy!